“As creative writers, the rubber meets the road while writing, so all the more reason to keep our tires aligned and headed in the right direction.”
For those of us who spend a great deal of time writing while seated at a desk, it is important to keep our bodies fit if we expect to keep our minds sharp and generating fresh ideas. In this article it is my intention to share a handful of useful tips that have helped me to keep my production capability strong and sustainable:
1) Some of my best thinking happens while walking outside. With fresh air the heart pushes more oxygen to the brain allowing thinking to become a breeze. Use this time to break down barriers, overcome obstacles and locate solutions. Break up the ice to dive deep into the subconscious and bring back a net of ideas to keep the writing process going.
2) Green tea may not taste good initially but add some fresh lemon, ginseng and/or ginger for a super healthy brain potion to get the creative juices flowing. The time it takes to prepare a cup of tea is a great way to begin and maintain an essential habit.
3) While waiting for the water to boil do several push-ups and/or sit-ups and/or squats. Keep a set of dumbbells nearby and work your biceps, triceps and/or shoulders. The objective is to get both a cardio and strength workout in before the water boils.
4) Then use the time it takes for the tea to steep for some light stretches. Now you can return to your writing area feeling refreshed and eager for another power hour of writing.
5) Last but not least, remember to snack on veggies throughout the day such as broccoli, bell-peppers, carrots and spinach. The goal is to eat light food, high in energy and good for the heart. There is no better way to diminish junk food than to simply add more healthy food in its stead. For the love of clarity avoid heavy food while writing.
Implementing these changes into your lifestyle can be challenging at first. It may be best to gradually ease them into your practise. Overtime the benefits of these healthy heart habits may bring about immense progress for you as they have for me. In the meantime click here for a more elaborate list of items to help improve oneself as a writer.